Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Lawyer fees

Corrie and I bought our first house this spring, and God provided for us each step of the way. We didn't have a down payment saved up, yet we managed to get the house!

We went with our realtor and looked at the house. We loved the land (3 acres), and the house could look good with a few fixing and touch ups! So, we decided we wanted to make an offer. However, we didn't have the down payment yet! But, we had prayed about it, and were still praying, so we continued in the direction of purchasing. We set up the meeting for the next day, still not knowing where the money would come from.

That next day, I checked our bank account online. And there it was. Enough money for our down payment deposit! Was it a miracle? Sort of. Was it magic? No. Was I expecting it? Well, not really!

A month or so earlier, we had filed our income tax. I knew we were due about $1000 in return. However, our down payment would be closer to $2500 in total, so I wasn't really counting on that too much. It was going to help, but we would've still been short quite a bit! Well, it turns out I made a few mistakes on the return, and we actually received $2700! Wow! Sure, God didn't "drop it on our doorstep", or say "SHAZAM" and it appeared, but He worked his miracle for us nonetheless, practically.

A few weeks later, we needed to come up with the rest of the deposit. Now I owned a little Ford Ranger which I had before Corrie and I had gotten married. We weren't using it anymore, as it didn't quite have the space for a carseat that we needed! Plus, the engine was blown, and the transmission was close to keeling over at any minute. So, I had tried to sell it earlier, but was unsuccesful. Well, two weeks prior to needing the money, I had put it in the paper again, and forgotten that I had done so! Guess what? Sure enough, the day before we needed the rest of the down payment, a guy phones me about the truck! Still, not one to get my hopes up (or have enough faith is maybe the more accurate way to say that!), I figured that once he realized the work involved, he'd walk away. Well, I came home that evening and Corrie was standing on the deck holding a wad of cash. He bought it! I watched him tow it away and was amazed at how God had worked out another detail right on time for us. And, again, it wasn't a huge, amazing miracle of flashing lights and dazzling colours, but it was a miracle nonetheless, and it was huge for both Corrie and myself.

And, finally, we come up to the lawyer fees. Well, we were down to the last of our money, and we still had to pay the lawyers. We only had about $700 left from the tax money and selling the truck after paying the down payment. The secretary phoned me one afternoon and asked if we could come down and sign the final papers tommorrow. Oh, and could we bring $1000 for the fees? GULP! Sure, I said...

So that night we prayed again (I was finally getting the hang of this whole "God's provision" idea). We said amen and guess what? We still only had $700! All that night, every where I went, I searched the ground for where God was for sure going to drop off the extra $300 we needed. I never found it. The next morning, I checked every pocket in every jacket and jeans that I owned, thinking that maybe God had put the money there. Nope. Maybe he had forgot?

Finally, that afternoon we started driving towards the lawyer's office, still with only $700. I thought to myself, well, maybe God was going to give it to us when we got to the office. Or maybe it was in the bank right now, and when I write the cheque, it would miraculously go through! I had no idea how He was going to do it, but we were certain God would provide us with that extra $300 somehow.

And he did provide. But he didn't give us any more money! We got there, we signed the papers, and finally, the lawyer looks at me and asked us how we wanted to pay for it. DOUBLE GULP. Maybe I missed the $300 on the sidewalk? Did I check every pocket? By cheque, I said, still wondering how far I should push this before I told them we couldn't actually pay for it! I asked her what the exact amount was that they needed. She calmly looked at me and said, "$700".

SHAZAM!!! There was my miracle! Dumbfounded, I asked her why we were told $1000 on the phone. She said sometimes they request extra to cover any other fees they might incur while processing the final papers, but this time they would just charge us for what they'd used up to that point. If they needed more later, they'd request it then.

Wow. Amazing! Exicting! Practical! God is good, all the time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home